#1308 Maple Stude                                           Photos


Here’s a cool Maple Stude.  Maple with a mahogany, maple and purpleheart neck and a persimmon fingerboard that had already been leveled, marked and lined. There was a fair bit some reshaping of the rather larger top wing as well as a reshaping of the lower horn and the end of the fingerboard.  The additon of a soap bar humbucker, in place of the original single coil J, and a three way switch add to the tonal flexibility of this bass.

Work Completed:

Reshape/remove wood on top of lower bout

Shape/sand body to 80 grit

Re-edges and re-contour back

Trim excess fingerboard

Drill for recessed side jack input

Shape/sand body to 150 grit

Shape/sand neck to  220 grit

Clean-up pick-up rout

Add headstock veneer

Routed for new p-up

Sand of fretboard 220 grit

Sand fingerboard to 800 grit and polish

Paint cavity cover

Filled holes/gaps as required.

Sand body to 400 grit   

Sand/shape neck to 400 grit

Shield cavities

Re-drill for ferrules

Route and drill for three way switch

Paint cavity cover

Seal wood

Apply Tru-Oil

Sand-back and polish

Fit string thro’ ferrules

Redo wiring harness add tone control and three way switch

Fabricate nut and bridge

Refit hardware


A few minutes with a band saw and about 30mins on my sanding wheel and we are definitely more Lobe-like IMHO!

I used a fretting saw to cut the ‘board down to the body and then, with a hot iron, loosened the glue and used a pry to lift the ‘board and ‘voila’ no excess fingerboard.  I then reshaped the end to be a little rounder, taking inspiration from one of my favorite luthiers.

The headstock was a little thin, so a maple veneer to match the body was added.

Having worked on this bass for a few weeks I had time to think about the pick-up options.  The EMG J-Select was not a bad pick-up, but it is sonically challenged in a one-pick-up configuration.  The spacing between the neck and the bridge was such that adding a second J would have been too much of a compromise, so I decided to re-route for a Kent Armstrong Humbucker, which was wired to a micro-switch to give parallel, split and series options for a full pallet of tonal variation.

Back to Wishbass Refinishing